“DJ Selva is well renowned as a premier Afro-Latin DJ and Emcee in the Asian region. His early experience as a DJ in R&B dance clubs from the tender age of 17 has helped him gain an invaluable skill in the art of music-mixing and crowd-pleasing.
DJ Selva’s passion for salsa was ignited when he enrolled for salsa dancing lessons under one of Malaysia’s premier salsa instructors, Fasilito of Dance Spirit, in March 2009. He instantly fell in love with the essentially Cuban core of salsa music and continued relentlessly in his effort to hone his skills in the art of salsa dancing. His dedication and hard work paid off when he received a call up to join the Dance Spirit Performance Team and his maiden salsa performance was a resounding success at the Malaysian Salsa Festival in August 2010. There was no turning back from that point and he soon became a regular and popular patron of the social salsa dancing scene in Kuala Lumpur. He was recently crowned Malaysian Bachata Champion at the Malaysian Latin Dance Championship 2012. He has since performed as a dancer at a number of international and local dance events such as the World Bachata Festival 2012 and the India International Dance Congress 2014.
DJ Selva’s calling as an Afro-Latin DJ commenced with Monday Night Salsa at Shivz Grill in Bangsar in early 2011. His brand of energetic and hard hitting Cuban salsa and sensual bachata became a huge hit with the salsa faithful in Kuala Lumpur. Monday Night Salsa was undoubtedly a hugely popular social salsa night and continued to pull some of the best dancers, instructors and performers in Malaysia and from other countries in the region and worldwide. He soon found himself on the decks at many other salsa nights. Some of his gigs include Interlude, Shivz Grill, G Point (formerly Salsa Havana), The Water Place at Heritage Row, Carne y Vino Latin Bar & Grill in Changkat Bukit Bintang (where he was the resident DJ), Loco, Havana Club, Yoko’s, Modesto’s Capsquare, Paradox Art Café, Braveheart, Chandelier, Zero 11 and many other private & corporate functions as DJ & emcee. He has also been invited to DJ at various gigs in neighbouring Singapore like Cuba Libre, The Studio and Union Square @ The Amara.
DJ Selva was given due recognition as a world-class Afro-Latin DJ when he was invited to be the resident DJ at the World Bachata Festival 2012 in Kuala Lumpur. He has also been invited to numerous events alongside some of the best Latin DJs in the region such as the Salsa Paradiso and Salsa-Lah events held in Kuala Lumpur in 2013, 2014 & 2015. He was one of the featured DJs at the Zouk SEA Festival 2013, 2014 & 2015 in Kuala Lumpur and was the only international DJ featured at the Osaka Latin Dance Festival 2014 & 2015 and was one of the featured DJs at the inaugural Penang Salsa Fiesta 2015.
The different genres of music he spins , among others, are salsa (Cuban,LA & NY), Cuban son, bachata, merengue, reggaeton, salsaton, bachaton, zouk, kizomba, cha cha cha, West Coast Swing, R&B, hip hop, retro and Top 40’s hits.”
Some of his more notable events include:
• World Bachata Festival 2012, 2015, 2016 (Malaysia)
• Salsa-Lah 2013, 2014, 2015 (Malaysia)
• Zouk SEA 2013, 2014, 2015 (Malaysia)
• Osaka Latin Dance Festival 2014, 2016 (Japan)
• Penang Salsa Fiesta 2015 (Malaysia)
• Singapore Malaysia Joint Dance Fiesta 2015 (Malaysia)
• Osaka Latin Dance Festival 2015 (Japan)
• Boracay Latin Dance Festival 2015, 2017 (Philippines)
• 1st Thailand-Malaysia Kizomba Kizomba & Afro-Latin/Salsa Bridge 2016, 2017 (Thailand)
• Kizomba Extremo II ft Kwenda Lima 2016 (Singapore)
• Sea, Sun & Kizz in Bali With Isabelle & Felicien (Indonesia)
• Vietnam International Latin Fiesta 2016 (Vietnam)
• Afro Latin Invasion Asia (ALIA) 2016 (Malaysia)
• Singapore Latin Extravaganza 2016 (Singapore)
• 3rd Latin Festival Madras & Kizomba Conference I 2016 (India) – confirmed
• Kizomba Infinity 2016 (Kuala Lumpur)